I upgraded to movable type 4. It looks vastly different from 2.661 and 3.35; SixApart added more functions and changed the way the indexes and templates work. I’ll write it all up in the technical section this weekend. I did a full upgrade, which even SixApart say is for the brave of heart. I deleted everything except the content and completely rebuilt every single index and template. Using the car analogy, I didn’t just change the brakes and spark plugs: I took every single part out and put in a new one.
The current stylesheet is called Minimalist White and it’s a default stylesheet. There aren’t so many available styles for MT4 and I thought I’d stick to one that works initially. This means that:
- the font behaviour isn’t exactly what I want — I use verdana instead of trebuchet, I’d like my links to be a different colour
- the customised styles from the old stylesheet (like the float and box elements) haven’t been implemented
- some more work needed on margins
- some formatting will look kablooey; an example is the ul list at the top left — it will be a tabbed nav bar eventually
I also need to look at all the pages underneath the main index to change default wording, take out unnecessary code etc. The static pages (about, faq, personal pages) have not been converted to the new style yet.
I’m very excited and happy with what I have so far. It’s been hard work and consecutive late nights. Here are some of the new features:
- quiet thoughts is now the homepage, the preamble is gone
- both writing sections are merged and stories categorised in an organised manner
- I’m starting on the recipes section
- I can now publish static pages like the about page
- I’m now able to use subcategories
- tags and tag clouds
- registration on sections that allow comments means no need to re-authenticate when returning
I’m lucky that I wasn’t a big user of plugins. My favourites like Blacklist and Markdown have been incorporated into the program. I did find the most coolest plugin — Crossposter from Arvind Satyanarayan. Because LJ and Vox are now part of the SA stable, I can crosspost to LJ. No more copying, pasting and reformatting. And this is the first crossposted post.