I’ve always thought risotto is difficult to make, at least perfect. I knew I’d have to try to make it one day, and with the mushrooms I bought at the farmer’s market early this week, it’s a good opportunity. This recipe is inspired by, no surprise, Elise, with modifications. And I didn’t measure.
- sauté mushrooms with butter, garlic and cream; set aside
- meanwhile, heat up a carton vegetable stock to simmering point
- melt butter in heavy pan, add arborio rice
- slowly, add stock one ladle at a time, stir until completely absorbed before adding next ladle
- when all liquid is absorbed and rice cooked, add mushroom mixture
- season, serve with shavings of pecorino (or parmesan)
The verdict — it was scrumptious!!! I can’t stop eating it. It’s like congee made with cream of mushroom soup. The cream and mushroom flavours really came through. And the rice wasn’t hard to make. All I needed to do was focus on what was going on in the pan and not multi-task. The actually cooking of the rice took about 20mins. Can’t wait till I make it again.