Come to think of it, making yule log is one of my family’s christmas traditions. This is a nigella like recipe made from a flourless cake mixture and chocolate butter icing.
6 eggs, separated
6oz / 150g sugar
2oz / 50g cocoa powder + 2tbsp for icing
3oz / 75g butter
8oz / 250g icing sugar
- whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks, then add 50g sugar
- in a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, rest of sugar until pale and mousse-like, add cocoa powder
- fold egg white mixture into chocolate mixture
- bake at 180°C for 20mins until cake springs back when pressed
- cool for 5mins, then turn out to greaseproof paper sprinkled with sugar on a wet tea towel
- make icing by whisking butter, icing sugar, 2tbsp cocoa, 2 tbsp milk
- spread icing on cake, then roll up like a swiss roll
- cut off a branch, stick to main branch using icing
- spread icing all over, sieve icing sugar and decorate
It was too sweet, next time I’ll use crème au buerre filling and ganache as icing.