It doesn’t get more traditional than cauliflower cheese. And no, New York Times, it’s NOT cauliflower and cheese. No, no, no.
I used yellow cauliflower, so now I’ve had white, green and yellow. Next up, purple.
- trim off leaves, steam the whole head for about 15mins till tender
- cut into florets, arrange in a single layer in oven dish
- make a roux from 2oz butter, 3tbsp flour
- add about 3/4 pint milk (I used a mixture of cream and milk) slowly, stirring constantly until just bubbling
- add 4oz shredded cheese
- pour sauce over cauliflower, season
- bake at 200°C for 30-40mins until golden brown
Big, big difference between this one and what used to be served to us at school. No comparison.