There are still some summer squash left at farmer’s markets. I got green and yellow pattypans and small yellow courgettes. Two new recipes, the first one is rigatoni with summer squash, bacon, basil and goat’s cheese, from the kitchn.
- cook and drain pasta, keep a little of the cooking water
- fry up the bacon and cut into pieces, drain on kitchen towel
- pour out all but a little of the bacon fat, sweat garlic
- add courgettes and cook till done
- add pasta to pan, season
- add fresh basil
- turn heat off, crumble goat’s cheese over
- add a splash of pasta water to make a creamy sauce
My bacon was in bite sized pieces, unlike the recipe which used it as topping. I wanted to eat that bacon! I used rigatoni, I think a smaller and more delicate pasta would have made the dish prettier. But no complaints. It tasted wonderful. I made this on Saturday, for carb loading for the 20-miler on Sunday. I had TWO helpings.